Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Some simple answers to your questions.

Network Truck Insurance Services, Inc. is here to help.

Home » Frequently Asked Questions

NTIS has been providing coverage to commercial transportation professionals to meet their insurance needs for over 27 years. We’ve collected our most frequently asked questions over the decades, and if you don’t find an answer here, we’re always happy to answer any other questions.

Top 10 Service Questions

Why do I need a certificate?

To work for a broker, you will need to prove that you have insurance to legally operate in the state in case a claim arises.

What is the difference between a certificate holder and additional insured?

A certificate is simply proof of insurance whereas an additional insured names the broker/entity on the policy and provides additional protection for that entity in the event of a claim. It also ensures that should the policy cancel for any reason the broker/entity is notified ahead of the cancel date.

What is a waiver or subrogation?

A waiver provides added protection for the broker/entity in the event of a claim. It basically states that your insurance is primary and your carrier will not try and recover loss expenses from the broker/entity.

If you have issued my filings, why doesn't the DMV have it yet?

DMV processes items in a day-by-day fashion. Even though something is faxed, mailed, or emailed to them, it is piled up and is not processed until the DMV gets to items on that date. Typically, DMV processes about two weeks out.

How do I get a hold of the commercial DMV?

The commercial DMV does not have a walk-in office and regular DMV offices are not trained to handle commercial specific items. Your best option is to call 916-657-8153 and speak to a commercial representative.

If I buy a truck in the middle of my policy term, does it get insured on the same policy or does it get a new independent policy?

Midterm truck purchases are always added to the existing policy. You will have to make a down payment for the coverage and then the balance is added to existing monthly payments.

How do I make payments?

It is always best to pay your payment to the company that invoices you. Our office can take payments for the finance company and some direct bill carriers but we have to then forward said payment, and it can sometimes slow the payment being credited.

If I cancel coverage or my policy, how long will it take for me to receive a refund?

By law in California, carriers have 60-80 days to return funds for any deletions or cancellations. Most carriers take around 70 days to return funds.

Do I have to make another down payment if I add equipment?

Yes, all increases in coverages will require a down payment. Our staff will advise you of what is required prior to adding anything.

How do I remove/reduce coverage?

All changes that decrease or delete coverage must be submitted in writing. This is for your protection and ensures that we process the change exactly as requested. You can fax or email our office at any time.

Top 10 Sales Questions

How long does it take to get a quote?

In most instances, we can provide a quote within 24 hours. Some carriers will take a bit longer if they need additional info or the risk is complicated.

After I make my down payment, how long does it take for my policy to be effective?

Each policy is different but most commonly, policies are effective the day after you make the down or any future date discussed with your agent.

Do I have to list all drivers on my policy?

All drivers must be listed on the policy before they are allowed to drive your equipment. Claims reported with unlisted drivers can be subject to declination, large surcharges, or cancellation.

Do I have to list trucks and trailers that I own on my policy?

For coverage to apply, all units must be listed on the policy.

What is the difference between auto and general liability?

Simply put, auto liability covers your potential damage caused by the movement of your truck and trailer. Transportation general liability covers you for business operations that are related to your trucking operation but do not involve the movement of the truck. An example is that you are using a mobile loader to load your truck and hit someone’s building causing damage.

There are other types of general liability that covers a larger range of exposures, and you can consult your agent for the right coverage option if you are requested to provide this coverage.

Why does the insurance company care if I don't want to insure some of my equipment?

If you have a DMV filing there is a statement on the proof of insurance stating “carrier agrees to insure all commercially owned and operated equipment.” This means that if a claim occurs involving a unit that is not listed on your policy, the carrier still has to pay the liability claims. Because of this, the carrier will require certain documentation from you to prove that you no longer own or operate equipment once insured or inspected in your name.

After I buy a policy, how long does it take to get my filings issued?

Typically, all filings requested are issued within 24 hours.

What are the state insurance requirements, and how do I know what limits I need?

California state minimum liability is $750,000. Check with your broker to see if they have additional requirements as most ask for $1,000,000 liability and can also want cargo or physical damage coverages as well.

How long after I start a policy will my first payment be due?

Typically, 30 days from the inception date of the policy.

Do you have broker requirements, so you can advise me on what type of policy I should buy, if I want to work with certain brokers?

We interact with many of the larger brokers and try to keep records of what their requirements are, but we cannot always know if changes in requirements occur. It’s always best for you to have a copy of broker requirements while obtaining quotes so you will not have to revise coverages after the fact.

About Our Agency - Time Lapse Traffic Over the Tower Bridge in Sacramento, California at Dusk

Get Started Today

As an independent agency, we are here to help you find the right coverage.

Get a Quote
  About Our Agency

  Request an Insurance Quote

As an independent agency, we are here to help you find the right coverage.

  • Please do not include sensitive, private information in this area.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Get a Quote

It only takes a minute to get started.

  • Fill out the form, we’ll be in touch.
  • Go over your options with an agent.
  • Get the coverage you need.

Would you rather discuss this in person? Get in touch with an agent today!